Skip to main content

Prayer requests

Dear friends,

It has been ages since my last update and I have much to share about future plans…but that will have to wait another month. Today I’d like to ask for your prayer as I am hoping to graduate in four weeks! I am quite behind and there is still much work to complete to meet even the minimum requirements for my graduate portfolio and my last classes this semester. Please pray that I would be diligent and have the energy to finish my work in time. I am having some eye strain and thyroid-related fatigue issues (which contributed to me getting behind this semester, although both have improved now). Please also pray that my weaknesses would teach me to rely on God more.

Additionally, would you be praying that I would be able to get a full-time ESL teaching job with a decent salary at a local college (university)? These jobs are highly competitive. Here in California, it seems that most part-time positions for ESL teaching in colleges only pay an hourly rate for classroom time, with no compensation for prep time and no pay during school holidays. Many part-time teachers are fully overworked, driving between 2 or 3 schools in different parts of the city (sometimes in the same day) just to make ends meet. Although I personally only require a modest income, I will need a better wage to pay off much of my sizable student loan debt (mostly from my time in England) if I am to go to the missions field in several years.

Lastly, please pray for my mom as her chronic pain has dramatically increased in the last few months and it looks like she will not be able to avoid having another back surgery. She needs to decide on a surgeon soon and we need to prepare the house and make plans for post-surgery care over a lengthy recovery period.

Thank you for your prayers and for your partnership in the gospel! I look forward to updating you soon on my long-term plans!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As I learn how to pray

--> Today was quite a day. I had the privilege of hearing Joanne Jung give a talk at a women's luncheon. Her insight on prayer was powerful. She suggested that if surveyed, most people would say they probably spend most of their time on the "Supplication" step (asking God for things, essentially) of the Adoration - Confession - Thanksgiving - Supplication (ACTS) model of prayer. And if that is the case, it could result in a very distorted view of God as a genie or Santa Claus figure, a god who serves us. Joanne told us about an exercise she has used to challenge her students: sending them outside the classroom to pray for fifteen minutes, with the stipulation that they must only pray A, C, and T…but not S. The result was often that students would realize how unfamiliar they were with practicing A, C, and T in prayer, some not knowing how to Adore, Confess, or give Thanks to God, or how to do them without quickly jumping to S. As I thought this thro...

First steps towards long-term missions

Dear friends, It's been too long since my last update. Here's an attempt to sum up the last two years in a nutshell! MY LONG-TERM MISSIONS GOAL I've been shaping and confirming this goal for the last few years. Essentially, within the next several years, I would like to be involved in church planting as a long-term missionary to an unreached people group, potentially in an urban setting, working as an English as a Second/Foreign Language teacher. WHAT I'M DOING NOW In the last year, I completed my MA in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). I believe that holding this degree makes me more eligible for teaching positions in universities worldwide. Recently, I started teaching in the ESL program of a state university in California and have even had the chance to invite students to my international student ministry's weekly Talk Time night. WHAT MIGHT BE NEXT An amazing missions training opportunity came to my attention a few m...

Gracias por mostrarme el camino de Jesús

Marisa from Spain just returned home last week. I met her in March while playing broomball at one of my international student ministry's outreach events. She spoke English with a thick Bar-tha-lona accent and at moments I wasn't sure if she was speaking English or Spanish. I immediately tried practicing some of my broken Spanish with her. Over the last two years since I've been involved in this ministry, I have been continually surprised to discover how seemingly little it takes to spark a friendship with international students that can lead to gospel opportunities. Drawing from my experiences and personal expectations of how friendships form, the things that "work" and "click" among international students are often a surprise to me. (Good thing not everyone looks at the world as an Asian-American woman in their 30s!) I don't know if it's that relationships are built more quickly in other parts of the world, if it's a generational "F...